Council Service Center & Scout Shop
262 W. Prairie Ave.
Decatur, IL 62523
8:30am - 5:00pm
National Youth Leadership Training
April 21-23 and April 28-30-2017
The National Youth Leadership Training Course has been rescheduled for early 2017. As in the past this will be conducted on a two-week end format. The date of the first weekend is 21-22-23 April; the second weekend is 28-29-30 April 2017.
The cost of the course has been set to a reduced fee of $150 which includes food and class materials.
The NYLT course is set up to represent an activity cycle in the life of a typical Scouting unit. This might be a month in the life of a troop or a series of meetings leading to an activity in a Venturing crew. The first three full days (first week-end) of the course represent the planning stages, complete with leadership council meetings, unit meetings, and planning for a larger event. Participants use the full range of BSA resources for planning and conducting meetings that are interesting, lively, and relevant—a skill they can incorporate with great effect when they return to their home units. NYLT participants put their preparations to the test with an NYLT Outpost Camp symbolizing the big event that culminates a typical unit’s activity cycle program.
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications
by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts must be 13 years of age and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program registration. They must be a First Class Scout and have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Ventures must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Crew Officer Orientation and Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews.
- It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience.
- Councils now open up their NYLT courses to Varsity teams and Venturing crews. Coed options will be available so that all youth registered in these programs have equal access.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
For more information contact the Council Service Center at 217-429-2329.